Gangs: Danger in the Valley

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, January 9, 2009 12:00 am

Hank Dewald, Herald Staff Writer

HALIFAX — Many folks in the Valley don’t think there is a gang problem in rural, eastern North Carolina. The more than 100 attendees of the Community Forum to Eliminate Drugs, Gangs and Youth Violence are not counted among them.

The forum at Northwest Halifax High School last night was organized by Halifax County School Board Chairman Tyrone Williams because of an incident where a fifth grader was caught bringing a loaded gun to school.

“That really opened my eyes.  I now know we have a very serious problem,” Williams said. He was so concerned he called N.C. Rep. Angela Bryant and Sen. Ed Jones. Both realized the seriousness of the problem and agreed to moderate a series of forums for the local community.

The two legislators not only agreed to participate, but also they brought representatives from of the most knowledgeable organizations to convince the residents there is a gang problem and that the signs of it are right in front of everyone each day.

Also, there were experts who spoke on school violence prevention, gun safety in the home, bullying in schools and types harassment, but the gang issue seemed to be what really grabbed everyone’s attention.

Halifax County Schools already has a an anti-discrimination, harassment and bullying policy as well as policies against weapons, dangerous instruments and alcohol and drugs in schools. A thick handout that detailed the school district’s policies was placed at each seat. Several speakers noted that having those policies in place was a positive step for the community and a necessary weapon in the fight against school violence.

According to most, more needs to be done and the first step is to realize the problem exists. That was the purpose of the forum and Williams wasted little time grabbing everyone’s attention.

“I’m standing here in front of you and I can’t tell you that my two sons are not involved in gang activities. This is a serious problem folks,” Williams said before throwing out some staggering figures on gangs and gang violence.

Williams quoted legendary NFL player Jim Brown, who has worked against gangs nationwide. “People don’t leave gangs. Have you ever known anyone who has left their family? You die out of your family. That’s the way it is with gangs, they are these folk’s families.”

Halifax County Schools Superintendent Geraldine Middleton also grabbed attention by saying she too previously believed there was not a major gang problem in the area. “I was truly shocked — horrified, when I heard what you are going to hear tonight,” she said. “No little community in the area is safe.”

Neither Jones nor Bryant was shocked. Both told the forum the problem has been growing for years and people have been complacent in their ignorance of the growing threat of gangs in the community.

Robert Temme, from the Center for the Prevention of School Violence, presented a Powerpoint presentation on school violence. He told the forum his organization is more research driven than dealing on a one-on-one basis with children, instead focusing on providing research for law enforcement agencies.

The CPSV stresses catching the problem early as the best way to prevent serious school shootings later, most of which occurred because of early instances of school bullying.

After hearing from Casandra Haynesworth, of the Governor’s Crime Commission, on grant money available to help in the fight against school violence, the Halifax County Sheriff’s Department and other local law enforcement agencies began giving their presentations, which were shocking to many at the forum.

Major Bruce Temple gave a short description of problems the Halifax Sheriff’s Department has seen on a nearly daily basis, before introducing Lt. Jay Burch, whose calm and “matter-of-fact” delivery was in sharp contrast to his pictures and descriptions of gang activities in the county.

Burch showed and described the local gang “tags,” which are their gang graffiti sprayed on buildings and walls across the county. He went through the purpose and reasons for the tags, which claim territory for the gangs and lead to violent confrontations with rival gangs and innocent bystanders who might enter that area.

“A ‘wanna be’ gang member is a ‘soon to be’ gang member” — a phrase seen often in the various police department presentations, but was graphically described by Enfield Police Department Detective Baesha Coppedge, who told the forum she knows first hand how serious the problem is because she was once a part of it.

Coppedge was first arrested when she was just 10 years old. “The signs are right in front of you,” she told the forum. “My grandmother never knew it, but they were right there in my book bag and all over my notebooks.” She said it is parents who need to educate themselves on the signs of gang life in their children.

“Be a little nosey,” she said, “There are signs everywhere out there. They are on BET (Black Entertainment Network) and in the lyrics of rap songs. Pay attention to what your children are watching and listening to.”

While Coppedge and the other law enforcement personnel were shocking, the Halifax County School Resource officers were even more shocking with their presentation of what is already occurring in schools now. Guns, knives, drugs and gang paraphernalia they have confiscated at local schools during the past few years. We paint over gang “tags” all the time and they are back up the next day, one officer said. “If you want to see one, just look in the men’s restroom right outside this cafeteria as you are leaving,” he told the group.

The SROs showed pictures of local gangs that are active all over the county. FAM, is an active gang in Enfield. There are the Enfield Bloods, the Littleton Area (LA), the Hollister Boys, the White Oak Click, the Medoc Click and many more. The SROs see them more everyday.

They showed pictures taken from their student’s Facebook and My Space pages on the Internet. The students were pictured holding drugs, cash and guns, while proudly “throwing up” gang signs. They posted these photographs on the Internet, so we’re not bothering to block out any faces, one SRO said.

Williams said the gang problems were and continue to be caused by what children are seeing on TV, hearing in music lyrics and seeing on the Internet. More importantly though, he said parents from up north and out west are sending their gang-member children to rural North Carolina thinking it will help them get out of the violent lifestyle. Instead, they bring the problem here with them.

After the forum, Jones said he was surprised that so many people were surprised by the facts presented. “I just know we can’t keep building $100 million prisons,” he said. “We’ve got to stop it from the other end to keep these people out of prisons. While some of these folks give us no option but prison, we have to take action to correct these behaviors before it gets to that point.”

“We’re here to educate folks tonight,” Jones said. “You can either learn it from the streets or learn it here. It is much easier if you learn it here.”

© 2015 The Daily Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Welcome to the discussion.

5 comments:

• anonymous posted at 8:41 am on Sun, Jan 18, 2009.

anonymous Posts: 0

gangs.....gangs are everywhere, its not just as rampant here as they are in the major cities across the us..Mr Williams better wake up and smell the coffee..

• anonymous posted at 7:25 am on Sun, Jan 18, 2009.

anonymous Posts: 0

These gangs appear to be in the county schools, and I assume they are black kids since they make up the majority of students in county schools. If they would just think for a moment who will be leading our nation this coming Tuesday and what he has done with his life, I believe this would enlighten them in what they can achieve. Kids have a desire to belong, and if a gang is all they have to belong to, then that's the route they choose. Money from the state is not going to rid the county of gangs. From early childhood a child needs to feel confident just being what he/she is and that they can make an important contribution to society. This has got to start with the parents who chose to have them.

• anonymous posted at 7:29 pm on Sun, Jan 11, 2009.

anonymous Posts: 0

There aren't any gangs in this area, sounds like we have a classic case of "lets hold a meeting and get the community into a state of paranoia" for one simple reason MONEY. What they are trying to do is first get the community behind this and then state government to obtain a grant to "supposingly fight gangs" NOT!! They are trying to benefit from these funds, the community is the least of their concerns trust me.

• anonymous posted at 3:22 pm on Sun, Jan 11, 2009.

anonymous Posts: 0

Educating parents and getting them actively involved in their student's lives is the key.The family is a critical component to any child’s life. When it comes to education, no greater statistic stands truer today than the achievement gap between students whose parents are involved in their education process and those who do not have that support. Personal responsibility, safety and education are key elements to bringing up the next generation.After 10 years of experience leading a volunteer program in my children’s elementary and middle schools, I launched Schools And Families Engaged (the S.A.F.E. TEAM on Campus) in 2008 to meet the needs of schools and families. Many of the school's families do not know where to begin in school. Many parents today never had an example of their parents supporting the school let alone they may not have enjoyed their personal schooling experience. Why would they have a desire to serve? You only know what you have experienced.Make time to check out our site www.thesafeteam.com . On the About SAFE page, click on the 40 Developmental Assets link. This will tie in all the benefits of families and communities supporting their students both in school and out of school.

• anonymous posted at 10:38 am on Fri, Jan 9, 2009.

anonymous Posts: 0

I am surprised that these people act like it is the first time they have heard this. I have been out of high school for 10 years now and there were "Bloods" and "Crips" in RRHS then. Don't they notice, just driving down the road, guys and girls dressed out all in red, blue, white. These are colors people. No, its not the same as East LA gangs or New York gangs, but they are still causing damage and harm. And to these kids this is a "real" gang and they have that "ride or die" mentality. Wake up Halifax/Northampton County. It could be your child.

Online poll

Loading…