RRFD

At approximately 2:49 p.m. Monday, firefighters with the Roanoke Rapids Fire Department were dispatched to the 200 block of Williams Street in reference to a house on fire.

Upon arrival of fire crews, they found a single-family residential home with smoke coming from the rear and roof area, according to a press release from Chief Jason Patrick. No one was home at the time. The firefighters quickly gained access to the home and advanced to the upstairs area where the fire appeared to be located. Once upstairs, firefighters discovered most of the fire was located in the attic space of the home. Crews were able to remove the sheetrock from the ceiling upstairs to extinguish the fire. Once the fire was contained crews started salvage operations, which is where firefighters try to cover items with tarps that have not been damaged to prevent any further damage.

The home sustained fire damage to the attic area and water and smoke throughout the remainder of the home. The fire started on the back of the house after a tree fell on the power line running to the home, causing the wire to pull loose starting the fire. Nine on-duty fire personnel responded and 11 others were called back in to help with the fire. Quick action by the on-duty shift with locating the fire and pulling the sheetrock quickly to extinguish the fire in the attic was instrumental in saving the rest of the home. Also assisting the fire department were Halifax County EMS, Roanoke Valley Rescue Squad, Roanoke Rapids Police Department and Roanoke Rapids Public Works.